Monday, July 16, 2007

What a weekend!

I have to be completely honest. I was afraid for some reason that the Cubs would stumble out of the gate in the second half, dig a hole of about 7-8 games back and then have to claw their way back all second half in an attempt to make the playoffs.

I apologize.

This team came out on fire this past weekend. Sure, the Astros gave us game 1 with their 4 errors, but let's not forget that Zambrano only needed 1 run to win that game anyway. It is great to see him pitching like the top pitcher that he is. If we could only figure out how to get him going in April and May, he'd win 25-27 games each year. I don't even want to think about him not being in a Cubs uniform next year, but I know eventually I am going to have to come to grips with it.

On Saturday, the Lilly vs Oswalt matchup I had little confidence in. First, its Roy Oswalt, a calculating, devious little pitcher....exactly the type of guy that keeps aggressive hitters like the Cubs in check. Second, the Astros were shutout on Friday, so I figured even their lineup was due to break out. After 3 innings of no hit ball by Oswalt and the Cubs down 1-0, it was sure looking that way. But wow....what I watched happen in the 4th, 5th, and 6th innings of that game can only be described as a day dream. It had everything. In the 4th, Lee and Ramirez delivered clutch hits again and the Astros gave us yet another free run on an error by Ausmus. In the 5th, it started as a poor inning with Bowen and Lilly making quick outs. But then Soriano reached on a single, Izturis (stil no idea why he was batting second) walked as did Lee. Ramirez yet again delivered a clutch 2 RBI single. All of this with 2 outs....so refreshing. But it was the 6th inning that just made me as giddy as I could be. Singles by Derosa and Jones, followed by another awful at bat by Bowen (K). Runners were on 1st and 3rd, and I really figured Lilly would bunt Jones to 2nd to stay out of the double play and then Soriano would be intentionally walked and Izturis would have to try to be a hero. BUT, on the first pitch, Ted Lilly smoked a hard single to right field. Derosa scored and runners were on 1st and 2nd....and finally Soriano was at bat with a chance to knock Oswalt out of the game and deliver a memorable hit at Wrigley Field. It didn't take long as Soriano absolutely blasted a shot into the left field bleachers.... 9-1 Cubs at that point, Oswalt out of the game with 8 ERs (his highest ER total EVER). I didn't even really need to watch anymore of the game....I just couldn't wipe that smile off my face....what a great win.

I missed Sunday's game as I spent the day on the lake. But the recap makes it look like a great come from behind win. Marquis sucks again (shocker). He puts us down 5-0 in the 2nd. We score 6 runs to make it 6-5, but then Marquis gives up yet another run....what a momentum killer. But wonder twin #1 (Ryan Theriot) delivers the game winning HR in the 4th inning as the Cubs bullpen is remarkable and they take home a 7-6 game winning sweep of the hateable Astros.

The Cubs bullpen pitched 8 1/3 inning this weekend and only gave up 2 runs. Both of those came in the 9th on Saturday during what I call "mop up time". It was 9-1 and Wuertz gave up 2 making it 9-3. Great job by the bullpen....they gave up ZERO meaningful runs and definitely won us the game on Sunday.

Sure, the Brewers won 2 out of 3 this weekend (both wins being the 1 run affair), but at least the Cardinals lost 2 of 3 and we distanced ourselves from them a bit more. 3.5 games out....the entire second half to go. I like our chances.

The only bad thing about this recent Cubs streak and the fact that we are inching toward the division lead, is that ALL of the Cubs bandwagon fans are starting to come out much as they did in 2003. I am finding Cubs fans that I never knew existed. Fans that couldn't tell you more than 3 guys in the starting lineup (Lee, Ramirez, and Soriano), or couldn't tell you a single starting pitcher other than Zambrano. Man I hate those fans. Stay away, you embarrass us. FYI, the names are pronounced "TEAR-E-O" and Mike Fontenot has a silent T at the end....at least act like you know something.

No comments: