Saturday, June 30, 2007

Yep, I was there!

Living in Indianapolis, I really only get to about 5 Cubs games in person each year. Its unfortunate, but I absolutely love the chances that I do get to get up there and enjoy Wrigley Field. That is why when yesterday the Brewers dropped 5 runs on my Cubs in the top of the 1st, I felt like the trip was going to be kind of a waste. Sure it was a beautiful day, and I was at Wrigley field, but when you devote an entire day to driving to and from Chicago, you just hope to not be out of the game after the first inning.

My immediate reaction was that the game was over. I have followed this Gallardo kid and I figured he'd mow us down all day. Then I knew our bullpen and the Brewer bullpen, I figured they had a huge advantage.

But as the game rolled on, the Cub bullpen just got stronger. We chipped away at Gallardo and the early Brewer bullpen, and by the 7th inning I was thinking....just maybe something magical can happen. But then Matt Wise and Derrick Turnbow came in during the 7th and 8th to absolutely disintegrate our hitters.

I got a text message in the 9th inning from my cousin about it likely being over due to Cordero. As a Cordero fantasy owner, I know this guy really isn't that great and he has been struggling of late. I sent him a message, that we've got them right where we want them and that Cordero has been very poor and shaky lately.

The bottom of the 9th opened up with a Theriot out. Then Soriano hit a nice ground ball up the middle for a base hit. Mike Fontenot extended his hitting streak with a ground ball to second base that I still think Rickie Weeks was out of position on. Derrek Lee hit a shot off his bat which at first us crowd thought had a chance, it turned into a routine fly ball with the winds coming in that sacrificed Soriano home. It was now 5-4 but there were two outs. My mind starting thinking about a gap double to try to get Fontenot home from first with 2 outs. The wind was very stiff coming in that I didn't really think a HR was possible. Before I really could even complete my thought about the gap double, we all know what happened now. No one captures it any better than Pat and Ron. I LOVE RON SANTO!

Pat and Ron's Call (mp3)

Wrigley Field almost collapsed from the emotion. It was the largest regular season Wrigley Field crowd since 1978 (which I still find hard to believe) - 41,908 fans....almost all of who had stayed. For 15 minutes following the game, no one wanted to leave. Go Cubs Go echoed probably a record number of times in a row...I can't even begin to describe what it felt like to be present at this game. I told my wife (who rarely attends with me), that this type of game maybe happens for a team once a season....but even more rarely is it such an important game for division standings. Just absolutely marvelous. At 2am after getting home I watched Sports Center for the highlights. The team reaction was even better. Sure, I saw them all at home plate....but I didn't see them in the dugout dancing and celebrating as a team. What a beautiful event. This team is starting to have a special spot in my heart among all Cubs teams....not just because they are winning....that helps....but this team has character, enjoyment, child-like enthusiasm, and the ability to never be dead. Guys like Fontenot, Theriot, Pie, Soriano, Bowen, Hill, etc...while they are not all producing, they have had some kind of effect on the veterans....or maybe it is Lou. They finally look like a team....first time since 2003. GO CUBS GO!

No comments: