Monday, June 18, 2007

Where is my allegiance?

So my Cubbies lost 2 of 3 to the San Diego Padres this weekend. It was a little painful to watch, especially on Saturday. Carlos Zambrano takes a no hitter into the 8th inning that is eventually broken up by a fluke chopper over the mound that Carlos just barely deflects. Had the ball not been deflected, it would have been an easy out for the SS. Then, in the top of the 9th inning, Russell Branyan hits an IMPROBABLE homerun one-handed off the top of the home plate. I am still amazed at how that ball could have left the field. Wrigley winds I guess.

More frustrating than losing a near no hitter game 1-0, was the decision by Derrek Lee to take a swing at Padre pitcher Chris Young.
I was listening to the play on XM Radio as Pat is describing it unfold (Ron was unfortunately in Peoria on Saturday). From Ron's broadcast it even seemed that Lee was in the wrong. Then watching the replays later Saturday night, I am appalled at why Lee would do such a thing. So much for being a mild mannered leader on the team. His act and likely 5-7 game suspension upcoming is REALLY going to hurt this team. Does he not remember how pathetic we were last year when he was hurt? Oh, and where in the world was the umpire or the San Diego catcher while this was unfolding? It is not as if Lee sprinted to the mound. He walked leisurely in that direction while he and Young had some words. In the video you can see the Home Plate Umpire and Rob Bowen (catcher) talking about something with their backs turned while Lee and Young go at it. If it weren't for little Marcus Giles getting Young out of the way, San Diego could have lost a very good pitcher. Way to go Rob Bowen....great catcher....right up there with Michael Barrett.

Anyway, putting aside the extremely frustrating day on Saturday,
I did not have much hope for Sunday's game. Why? Because Greg Maddux was on the mound. The beloved Ex-Cub. The beloved Ex-Cub that had a career 11-3 mark coming in against the North Siders. Greg Maddux is the perfect pitcher to face the Cubs. A patient, deliberate, methodical worker who takes advantage of over agressive swingers. Sure enough, he silenced the Cubs once again as he got plenty of run support.

I found myself as content as I have ever been with this loss though. Which made me wonder....Am I ok with the Cubs losing simply because Maddux is on the mound? If so, then I question what type of fan I really am. Don't get me wrong, I really wanted the Cubs to win that game, but somehow, losing the way they did to Maddux, made if easier to swallow. Maddux is the epitome of what is great about baseball. His stature is nothing to write home about, yet he's been one of the top 3 pitchers of my lifetime. The Cubs should never have screwed him over and let him go to Atlanta....oh what might have been. :(

1 comment:

Josh T. said...

I thought it was really wierd too when the catcher and umpire didn't notice Lee and Young jabbing at each other.
And after our conversation yesterday, I think the league should really consider a different set of rules for starting pitchers. The Padres could appeal any suspension and then drop the appeal after Young's next start. This scenario could lead to Young not even missing a start.