Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Welcome Rob Bowen

Well we could all see the writing on the wall. After Michael Barrett and Carlos Zambrano scuffled in the Cubs dugout a few weeks ago, it was clear that Barrett's days were numbered as a Cub. Then last week Lou Pinella announced that Barrett's playing time would be reduced. Reduced was right....right out of town.

I've always been a Barrett fan and he's been a good offensive weapon for the Cubs the last few years. While I think the Cubs definitely sold very low on him, as a fan I have to jump on board and now support the decision.

I do see some irony in the move however. Michael Barrett for Rob Bowen and a minor leaguer that I will not get into. Basically, we go from having a catcher that can't seem to get along with teammates to a catcher that doesn't want to protect teammates!

Does anyone else remember that just a few days ago, Rob Bowen was the catcher for Chris Young that was busy talking/arguing with the umpire while Derrek Lee went after Chris Young? I wonder how the relationship between Bowen and Lee will be now. Perhaps Bowen knew he was going to become a Cub and therefore decided to let his future teammate have at it. I doubt that....but I can't imagine two polar opposites in catchers. (based solely on two isolated and unrelated events)

Rob Bowen will always be known to me for beating the Cubs on a walk off HR....his first HR ever last May against the then dominant Bob Howry. Here is a picture from that game compliments of MLB.com.

I hope Bowen wipes my memory of that game by winning one for us soon. I will embrace him but I have to tell you that the platoon of Koyie Hill, Rob Bowen, and Henry Blanco does not sound as good on paper as Michael Barrett....although we can only get better defensively at catcher now. And, at least Bowen will be comfortable in his new home. I am sure Chris Young and the Padre teammates were not happy that Bowen stood idle during the fight. With the Cubs, he won't have to worry about protecting Carlos Zambrano in a mound fight....cause we all know Carlos would whoop up on anyone.

No comments: