Thursday, October 4, 2007

Sorry Lou, I disagreed

Yes Lou, you are awesome, but I disagreed the minute you made the decision last night.

Carlos Zambrano, game 1 NLDS, as locked in as I have seen him all year. 85 pitches through 6 innings and Sweet Lou pulls him. Not for a pinch hitter, not for a pinch runner, flat out pulls him. Here is a list of Z's pitch count in every game this season...do you notice something really odd. Only once did he throw less than 85 pitches and it was in a 12-1 blowout win against the Giants.

I immediately disagreed. The TBS analysts said it was because Z is scheduled to pitch in Game 4 on short rest. Lou reiterated that in the post game press conference. I am sorry, but this is the playoffs. If you don't play to win the current game you are in, then are you not playing playoff baseball. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? Just worry about today. Maybe Lou should watch this.

I know Carlos Marmol, Bob Howry, and the rest of the bullpen has been outstanding, but honestly, I don't think I would have pulled Zambrano for anyone after only 85 pitches the way he was going....not even Josh Beckett. And I said that before Marmol gave up any runs. I am not just being a cynic with hindsight. Why mess with a good thing? Can you really sit there and tell me that 85 pitches versus 105 pitches is going to make a difference in his short rest start on Sunday? Cause I don't buy it. Either Z will be good on short rest or not. I think he only did it once this year, and the results weren't great. It's the playoffs, you don't hold back. Let's just hope we have a game 4.

Nonetheless, I am done ranting about the decision. I disagreed with it, but I'll move on. Let's get them tonight. It's as important of a game as we'll have. Have no fear, Ted Lilly is primed and ready.

GO CUBS GO!

1 comment:

Jason said...

I would have pulled him even earlier, actually. Didn't he come up to hit with bases loaded, two out in the 6th? Ward or Murton could have gotten us a lead, and Howry/Marmol/Wood could have forced the Dbacks to play catch-up. I feel so bad, second-guessing Lou at this point. But I just feel like that game was mis-managed.