Tuesday, August 7, 2007

I don't feel so good right now

While I was in Japan, the Cubs played some decent ball. They took 2 out of 3 against the Reds and split a 4 game series with the Phillies. But upon my return is when I started to not feel so well.

The Mets series opened with 6-2 loss; a game the Cubs did not play well in. I was then able to attend on Saturday and watch Ted Lilly shutdown all but Moises Alou in a 6-2 win. All 6 runs came after a 2 out infield single that Ryan Theriot was called safe at first on. Even in the stands in real time I thought he was out. Nonetheless, the Cubs capitalized with that opportunity and scored 6 runs after it. We did get a hit batter and a walked in run, but who's counting? BUT, the point is that the Cubs did not hit well in that game either. Then came Sunday night, the climax of my sickness. Coming into Sunday night, I didn't necessarily expect to win, but I did expect to play better than we did. Our offense was anemic again. But Alfonso Soriano coming up lame between 2nd and 3rd to make the 3rd out was enough to make me vomit. While I have a lifelong interest in the Cubs and wanting to see them make the playoffs, my fantasy team is also firmly dependent on Soriano. Today's report says a torn quad and now out up to 6 weeks. We are really going to miss his bat.

Our OF will likely consist of a platoon of Murton, Jones, Floyd, Pagan, and DeRosa. It could be worse, but still, losing Soriano was like when Lowell left Wings. The show just fell apart.

My sickness continued last night against the Astros. Rich Hill was extremely encouraging giving up just 1 run, but the Cubs offense could not muster more than 1 run themselves. Losing in the 10th inning stung with the Brewers losing yet again.

This offense needs to snap out of the funk or I am afraid we could slip further behind the Brewers. We are lucky they've been losing lately as well.

So come on Ramirez and Lee. Put this team on your back and get hot together. Theriot, DeRosa, Murton, Kendall....time to be the great role players I know you can be. Let's focus on this together, make the playoffs and get Soriano back just in time for it.

GO CUBS GO!

1 comment:

Mr. Hilgendorf said...

I am so with you brother, I felt so good after the game on saturday but after last night when they had the bases loaded with nobody out in the first inning... and only go one run and that was because Williams walked a run it, well that just about highlights how bad the offense is right now... when Kendell got the third out I thought Santo was going to get on the field and slap the batters around... it just might help